>Home >About Us >A History of Louisville Adventist Academy

A History of Louisville Adventist Academy


(formerly Louisville Junior Academy)


In the year 1909, a church school was opened at 26th and Hale Streets in a storeroom. In 1911, the school moved to Louisville First Seventh-day Adventist Church at 17th and Jefferson Streets. One class was held in a room in the rear of the church; the other was held inside the church.  The students sat on the floor and used the seats of the pews as desks.


During 1921-22, there were eleven students in seven grades. During the 1922-23 school year, the school had 28 students in eight grades. By 1923-24, enrollment had grown to 36 students in nine grades.  In 1923 when the church was sold, the school moved to a grocery storeroom on 18th Street between Market and Jefferson Streets.


In the fall of 1924, the church school was moved to the new church at 1621 South Fourth Street where it occupied the rooms in the rear of the church. In 1949, a large house next to the church on Fourth Street was purchased and converted into a school. In January 1951, the school moved into this building and was named Louisville Junior Academy with 30-40 students attending the ten-grade school.


A building fund was started and grew until finally in late 1958 when ground was broken for a new school building. Early in 1959, a beautiful new school was built on the property at 7315 Southside Drive. In October 1959, Louisville Junior Academy moved into its new building with 74 students in ten grades.


In 1988, the Southside Drive school building was sold, and Louisville Junior Academy was soon relocated to another new building on the current Louisville First SDA Church campus at 2988 Newburg Road.


In an effort to more accurately reflect the school's future vision and direction, the constituency voted to change the school's name. After one hundred years of successfully educating children and youth for the kingdom of God, Louisville Junior Academy became Louisville Adventist Academy! The new name was officially unveiled during the 100-year alumni weekend celebration in July 2009.


Current enrollment exceeds 100 students in thirteen grades (PreK-12), and in 2010 the new high school building was completed and opened for use by the high school grades. LAA is currently supported primarily by three constituent churches, and students come from at least ten area churches. The school boasts a sports program, music and drama program, school mission and educational trips, community service projects and other features that are typical of much larger schools while keeping tuition costs affordable for families. The school hopes to build a gymnasium in the near future to accommodate growth and our sports program. We praise God for a renewed and expanded vision and purpose for our school!